• Ph.D Cognitive Neuroscience, University of British Columbia (2016)
• M.A. Cognitive Neuroscience, University of British Columbia (2012)
• B.A. Psychology (minors in Neuroscience and World Religion), McGill University (2008)
• June 2016
MENTORS, COLLABORATORS, ASSOCIATES
• Peter Sedlmeier, TU Chemnitz
• Jess Andrews-Hanna, CU Boulder
• Nathan Spreng, Cornell
• Michael Lifshitz, McGill
• Yoona Kang, U Penn
• Alex Rauscher, UBC
• Steve Heine, UBC
• Rebecca Todd, UBC
• Evan Thompson, UBC
• Bill Domhoff, UC Santa Cruz
• Liza Solomonova, U Montreal
• Tore Nielsen, U Montreal
• Richard Sears, MICS
"Dreaming as Mind Wandering" (September 2013) Talk at Vancouver General Hospital hosted by BrainTalks@UBC.
• Christoff, K., Irving, Z.C., Fox, K.C.R., Spreng, R.N., & Andrews-Hanna, J.R., (2016). Mind-wandering as spontaneous thought: A dynamic framework. Nature Reviews Neuroscience.
• Fox, K.C.R., Andrews-Hanna, J.R., & Christoff, K. (under revision). The neurobiology of self-generated thought from cells to systems: Integrating evidence from lesion studies, human intracranial electrophysiology, neurochemistry, and neuroendocrinology. Neuroscience.
• Fox, K.C.R., Fitz, N.S., & Reiner, P.B. (under revision).The multiplicity of memory enhancement: Practical and ethical implications of the diverse neural substrates underlying human memory subsystems. Neuroethics.
• Ellamil, M., Fox, K.C.R., Dixon, M.L., Pritchard, S., Todd, R.M., Thompson, E., & Christoff, K. (2016). Dynamics of neural recruitment surrounding the spontaneous arising of thoughts in experienced mindfulness practitioners.NeuroImage.
• Fox, K.C.R., Dixon, M.L., Nijeboer, S., Girn, M., Floman, J.L., Lifshitz, M., Ellamil, M., Sedlmeier, P., & Christoff, K. (2016). Functional neuroanatomy of meditation: A systematic review and meta-analysis of 78 functional neuroimaging investigations. Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews, 65, 208-228.
• Fox, K.C.R., Kang, Y., Lifshitz, M., & Christoff, K. (2016).Increasing cognitive-emotional flexibility with meditation and hypnosis: The cognitive neuroscience of de-automatization. To appear in: Meditation and Hypnosis, A. Raz and M. Lifshitz (editors), Ch. 11. Oxford University Press.
• Fox, K.C.R. & Christoff, K. (2015). Transcranial direct current stimulation to lateral prefrontal cortex could increase meta-awareness of mind wandering. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 112(19), E2414.
• Fox, K.C.R., Spreng, R.N., Ellamil, M., Andrews-Hanna, J.R., & Christoff, K. (2015). The wandering brain: Meta-analysis of functional neuroimaging studies of mind-wandering and related spontaneous thought processes.NeuroImage, 111, 611-621.
• Domhoff, G.W. & Fox, K.C.R. (2015). Dreaming and the default network: A review, synthesis, and counterintuitive research proposal. Consciousness and Cognition, 33, 342-353.
• Fox, K.C.R., Thompson, E., Andrews-Hanna, J.R., & Christoff, K. (2014). Is thinking really aversive? Commentary on Wilson et al.'s "Just think: The challenges of the disengaged mind." Frontiers in Psychology: Cognition, 5(1427), 1-4.
• Dixon, M.L., Fox, K.C.R., & Christoff, K. (2014). A framework for understanding the relationship between externally and internally directed cognition.Neuropsychologia, 62, 321-330.
• Dixon, M.L., Fox, K.C.R., & Christoff, K. (2014). Evidence for rostro-caudal functional organization in multiple brain areas related to goal-directed behavior. Brain Research, 1572, 26-39.
• Solomonova, E., Fox, K.C.R., & Nielsen, T.A. (2014).Methodological considerations for the neurophenomenology of dreaming: Commentary on Windt's 'Reporting dream experience.' Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, 8(317), 1-3.
• Fox, K.C.R., Nijeboer, S., Dixon, M.L., Floman, J.L., Ellamil, M., Rumak, S.P., Sedlmeier, P., & Christoff, K. (2014). Is meditation associated with altered brain structure? A systematic review and meta-analysis of morphometric neuroimaging in meditation practitioners.Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews, 43, 48-73.
• Fox, K.C.R. & Christoff, K. (2014). Metacognitive facilitation of spontaneous thought processes: When metacognition helps the wandering mind find its way. In:The Cognitive Neuroscience of Metacognition, S.M. Fleming and C.D. Frith (editors), Ch. 13, pp. 293-319.
• Fox, K.C.R., Nijeboer, S., Solomonova, E., Domhoff, G.W. & Christoff, K. (2013). Dreaming as mind wandering: Evidence from functional neuroimaging and first-person content reports. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, 7(412), 1-18.
• Fox, K.C.R., Zakarauskas, P., Dixon, M.L., Ellamil, M., Thompson, E. & Christoff, K. (2012). Meditation experience predicts introspective accuracy. PLoS ONE, 7(9), e45370.
• Stenstrom, P., Fox, K.C.R., Solomonova, E. & Nielsen, T. A. (2012). Mentation during sleep onset theta bursts in a trained participant: A role for NREM stage 1 sleep in memory processing? International Journal of Dream Research, 5(1), 37-46.